I know how often you've stood there in front of your fridge, magically hoping for that ready-to-eat meal to appear in front of your eyes. Some days I think the longer I stare, the more likely it is to happen. When you don't have food ready to eat is when you open up the pantry and grab that bag of pretzels or throw in a microwaveable meal. I've been there and I get it.
These recipes are for you to have in your back pocket so you never are stuck not knowing what to do for dinner, or lunch, or post-workout, or anything! Make them ready-to-eat or prepare them ahead of time when you know you have a busy day.
Thai chicken salad.
This is a great recipe for a pre or post-workout meal as it's high in protein and a great source of nutrients. Add a cup of rice to your salad for some etxtra carbohydrates as well!
Prep 15 min-Cook 20 min
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
Salt and pepper to taste
1 small red onion chopped fine
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 table spoon honey
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 red pepper diced
3 carrots grated
2 green onion chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup raw cashews toasted and chops
1) heat coconut oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
2) Add chicken and sauté until browned and the chicken is fully cooked
3) Allow to cool and shred chicken
1) Whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, ginger and red pepper flakes.
2) Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Add honey to taste.
1) In large bowl combine cabbage, red pepper, carrots, grn onion, basil, cilantro and chicken. Toss with
the dressing. Toss with the cashews and serve.
Tuna Salad Wrap.
This one really couldn't get any easier. Wraps are a fantastic healthy option where you can load up on veggies and protein but still have a delicious, carb-y, doughy wrap.
10 min prep time
Serves 1 large or 2 small
1 can tuna
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup red onion finely diced
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup finely diced cucumber
1/2 avocado (mashed with fork)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 pinch pepper
1 pinch paprika
1 or 2 whole wheat tortilla
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, except the wrap, stir until well combined. Place half the mixture
in the centre of a whole wheat tortilla. Fold the bottom the wrap. Serve and enjoy or take to go. If you are
having a lower carb day you can put the ingredients on a green salad
Roasted chicken cauliflower bowls.
This one is just.... so yum.
Prep time 20 mins-cook time 25 mins
Serves 5 - Great recipe to have for busy weeks!!
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
1 head cauliflower
1 med onion sliced
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
10 oz guac
1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
2 cups brown rice
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 sheet pans with parchment.
2. In a small bowl, combine spices and set aside.
3. Place chicken in a single layer on one pan. Use half the spice mixture to season both sides of the chicken.
Drizzle with 2 tsps oil.
4. Place cauliflower and red onion in a single layer on the other sheet pan. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tsps oil and
season with the remaining spice blend. Toss to combine.
5. Roast at 400F for 25 mins or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
6. While sheet pans are cooking, cook rice according to package and rinse and drain beans. Set aside.
7. Evenly divide chicken, veggies, black beans and rice into individual serving containers. Garnish with cilantro and
serve with guacamole