Makes 4 servings
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp Habanero Chili diced
- 1/2 Cup Red onion roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh ginger minced
- 2 tsp Fresh garlic minced
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Allspice powder
- 2 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp Reduced-sodium Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Olive oil + additional to oil the grill
- 1 Package Extra Firm Tofu
For the salsa:
- 2/3 Cup Pineapple finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Red onion minced
- 2 tsp Fresh Lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cilantro minced
- 1 Head Iceberg lettuce
- In a food processor, combine the chili, red onion, ginger, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, coconut sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend, scraping the sides down every so often, until a slightly chunky paste forms. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu in half, and then cut each half into 3 slices, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the tofu on a layer of paper towel and then cover with an additional layer and press out the moisture. Repeat with new paper towels until you've squeezed as much moisture out as possible. I did this 4 times.
- Place the tofu in a large dish and pour the marinade over top. Turn the tofu over and rub the marinade on top to make sure both sides get evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours - overnight.
- Preheat your grill high heat for 10 minutes. Once hot, scrape the grill down really clean and rub it generously with olive oil (a super clean and oiled grill is one of the keys to crispy tofu).
- Scrape any excess chunks of marinade off the tofu, and place the slabs on the OUTSIDE edges of the grill, where the heat is indirect and turn the grill down to low. Close the lid and cook until the outside of the tofu is lightly crispy and has nice grill marks, about 10-13 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 10-13 minutes.
- While the tofu cooks, combine the chopped pineapple, red onion, lime juice and cilantro in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the tofu is cooked, rub the reserved excess marinade on each slab and finely chop into small cubes.
- Spoon the tofu into the lettuce leaves, top with salsa and DEVOUR.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving)
- Calories 282
- Total Fat 15.8
- Total Carbohydrates 20.7
- Fiber 6.8
- Protein 21.1